The Perks of Loving a Wallflower by Erica Ridley
To start off this review, let me make one statement: I do not like historical romance. I’ve tried it a couple of times, but it just never did anything for me.
Apparently I was just reading the wrong historicals, and I now know that f/nb sapphic Regency romances are my jam. Who knew??
Things I loved about this book:
• Excellent audio narration. Moira Quirk has a lovely voice and did a great job with all of the characters.
• A real portrayal of the difficulties of sapphic relationships of the period.
• The beauty, support, and love of found family.
• Two kick-ass heroines!
• Quite literally laughing out loud on many occasions while listening in the car on my way to work. The banter and humor in this book are exquisite!
• Fake dating, which is always a favorite trope of mine.
• A delightful supporting cast of characters. I cannot wait to read about the rest of the Wynchester siblings! I did not read the first book, The Duke Heist, prior to reading this one. I found it was not a problem because most of the background information needed is provided well enough to get the general idea of the family’s situation. And of course upon finishing Perks, I immediately downloaded the audiobook of book 1. 😊
What I did not like:
• The cover. Don’t get me wrong, it is beautiful. Stunningly beautiful, in fact. But it’s not a proper portrayal of our two leads. Teeny-tiny nit-pick: Phillipa’s dress should have more lace. She’s known to wear tons of lace. MAJOR nit-pick: Tommy’s hair should be short and it would have been much more appropriate to have her attired in her trousers.
But the important parts – the characters, the plot, to romance, all of it was just perfect. Thank you, Erica Ridley, for changing my mind about historical romance. I look forward to reading more in the future!
Thank you to @readforeverpub for my gifted copy of this audiobook.